English  |    |  


Questions related to admission


1.    I only take one elective subject in HKDSE. Is it possible for me to be admitted by the BA Programme (Broad-based Admission)?

Yes. The BA Programme (Broad-based Admission) will count the scores of four core subjects and the best one elective subject.


2.    What are the weightings given to the second best and third best elective subjects in calculating the admission scores for the BA Programme (Broad-based Admission)?

The BA Programme (Broad-based Admission) will count four core subjects and the best one elective subject. In principle, these five subjects carry the same weight. We do not consider the third elective subject and thus no weight is given.


3.    Is it possible to replace the core subject with low score by the second or third best elective subject when admitting students?

The BA Programme (Broad-based Admission) must count the four core subjects, and hence core subjects cannot be replaced by any elective subjects.


4.   Among HKDSE Chinese Language, English Language, Mathematics and Liberal Studies, which subject(s) is/are given more weight when admitting students?

In principle, they are given equal weight. However, if there are two students with the same HKDSE scores, the one who has achieved better results in Chinese Language and English Language is highly preferred. Good result in Liberal Studies is preferred.


5.     Which HKDSE elective subjects will be given bonus marks?

No bonus marks will be given to any elective subjects. All elective subjects will be considered and carry the same weight.


6.    Is it necessary for me to obtain Level 4 or above for Chinese Language and English Language in HKDSE to enter your BA Programme (Broad-based Admission)?

No. The minimum requirements for Chinese Language and English Language are Level 3. If you obtain Level 4 or above for languages, you will have a better chance of being accepted by our BA Programme (Broad-based Admission).


7.    I mainly take science subjects in HKDSE. Will I have disadvantage in entering the BA Programme (Broad-based Admission)?

No. Each elective subject carries the same weight. Any students with good HKDSE scores are welcome to choose the BA Programme (Broad-based Admission).


8.     Are the results in Mathematics Extended Module 1 or 2 (M1 or M2) counted when admitting students?

Our BA Programme count M1 or M2 as equivalent to HKDSE elective subjects.


9.     Will the BA Programme (Broad-based Admission) consider the results in Applied Learning subjects?

Applied Learning subjects will not be considered as elective subjects in the score calculation.


10.   Will the BA Programme (Broad-based Admission) consider the results in Other Languages subjects?

We will count the Other Languages subject with grade E or above as an elective subject in score calculation, if it is better than all your elective subjects.


11.   Will I be considered by your BA Programme (Broad-based Admission) if I haven't taken Chinese Literature or Literature in English in HKDSE?

We welcome any students who are interested in Arts subjects.


12.  Will students’ performance in Other Experience and Achievement in Competitions / Activities (OEA) be considered by the BA Programme (Broad-based Admission)?



13.   Are there any admission interviews or tests (for the Broad-based Admission) conducted by the Arts Faculty?

JUPAS route: No admission interviews or tests. Applicants through School Principal’s Nominations will be invited to an interview at HKBU in June every year.

Non-JUPAS route: The admission interviews will be conducted between February and April every year.


BA (Hons) in Music will arrange admission interviews.


14.   Do I need to select the BA Programme (Broad-based Admission) as my first choice in JUPAS to enter the programme?

You don't have to, but the Arts Faculty will give favourable consideration to JUPAS applicants who have put the Bachelor of Arts Programme (Broad-based Admission) as their Band A choice. Over 90% of our students put our BA Programmes as their Band A choice.


Questions related to course selection


1.     Since all PE courses are full, I am not able to take PE courses in Year 1. What can I do?

It would be fine as long as you are able to fulfil the graduation requirements for PE courses before you graduate. We encourage you to take the two PE courses by the end of Year 2 at the latest. Starting in Year 3, your study load will become heavier, so you need to put more effort and time in studying your Major courses.

2.    Is it necessary for me to take the Year 1 course(s) offered by the Major I intend to join in order to get into that Major?

No, it is not necessary to do so.

3.     If I want to take more than 18 units in a semester, what should I do?

        Please follow the procedure below:

1.     Download the application form “Application for Excess Study Load for 4-Year Curriculum Students (REG003A)” (Link: http://buar2.hkbu.edu.hk/curr/dl_area/).

2.     Write your contact phone number on the application form. Submit it with your Student Enrolment Record (downloaded in the BUniPort) to Ms. Scarlett Chan of the Arts Faculty Dean’s Office (Address: W1100, 11/F, Oen Hall (West), Ho Sin Hang Campus).

3.     If your application is approved, the Dean’s Office will inform you to get back the signed application form from the Dean's Office and submit it to the Academic Registry (Address: Room 701, 7/F, Academic and Administration Building, Baptist University Road Campus).

4.     If your application is not approved, the Dean’s Office will inform you by phone.



Questions related to Curriculum and Major Programme Assignment


1.     Is it possible for me to change programme within or across faculties/ schools/ programmes after studying Year 1?

Students need to apply to the Academic Registry and get the approval from the relevant faculties / schools and departments.

2.     When do I choose Major? When will HKBU announce the results of Major Programme Assignment?      

        In the Semester 2 of Year 1 (March every year), you will prioritize all the 6 Majors on the BUniPort based on your interest and overall performance. After the announcement of examination results in mid-June, you may change the choices. The University will announce the results of Major Programme Assignment in late June or early July.

3.     If I am assigned to a Major which I do not like, what can I do?       

        Even if you are not assigned to your first choice, you can still acquire the knowledge that you are interested in through various means.

        The Major programmes of the Faculty of Arts are interrelated. Chinese Language and Literature, English Language and Literature, Creative and Professional Writing and Translation are all related to languages. Humanities and Religion, Philosophy and Ethics are related to cultural studies and philosophy. Creative and Professional Writing and Humanities are both offered by the Department of Humanities and Creative Writing.

        Students majoring in Chinese Language and Literature, English Language and Literature, or Religion, Philosophy and Ethics may pursue a Double Major. You can declare Double Major at the end of Year 3, provided that you have taken sufficient credits and have confidence in fulfilling the Double Major requirements in Year 4.

        To obtain knowledge of different disciplines, you may also pursue a Minor or take courses offered by the Major you like using you Free Elective units.

4.     If I have difficulties in choosing a Major, who can help me and give me advice?       

        If you need additional information and advice concerning the choice of courses, the selection of Majors, or other academic matters, you should consult the Faculty Academic Advisors. You can make an appointment at the Dean’s Office (email : artsug@hkbu.edu.hk or tel: 3411 5860) to meet one of the Faculty Academic Advisors.

        You may also seek advice from the Faculty Mentors or senior fellow students.


Questions related to Double Major

1.     Which Major programmes are included in the Double Major Programmes? 

Double Major Programmes include any two Majors from Chinese Language and Literature, English Language and Literature, and Religion, Philosophy and Ethics.

2.     How can I pursue Double Major? 

Step 1: Get into one of the following Majors at the end of Year 1:
a) Chinese Language and Literature,
b) English Language and Literature, or
c) Religion, Philosophy and Ethics.
Step 2: Take the required number of units according to the Double Major course lists and study schedules announced on the Faculty website.
Step 3: Maintain a cGPA of 3.0 or above and declare the Double Major at the end of Year 3.
Step 4: Fulfil the graduation requirements for Double Major by the end of Year 4

        Note: Please be reminded that only students who achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 are allowed to declare Double Major.

3.     If I have declared a Second Major in Year 3, but I cannot complete it before graduation, what should I do? 

        As long as you have fulfilled the graduation requirements for the Home Major (i.e., the Major assigned to you at the end of Year 1), you can still graduate with a Single Major (Home Major) even if you cannot complete the Second Major. 

4.     If I pursue Double Major, do I have to work on two Honours Projects? 

        No, you don’t have to. You will work on an Honours Project of your Home Major, but you may opt for an Honours Project of an interdisciplinary nature.

5.     I plan to pursue Double Major. However, I am not able to enrol in the courses offered by the Second Major, especially the required courses, on the BUniPort during the Pre-registration Period. These courses are designated for students in that Major programme. What can I do?

You are not able to enrol in these courses during the Pre-registration Period. You have to fill in the application form “ REG001 - Application for Adding a Course ” downloaded from the AR website during the Add/Drop Period and submit it to the offering department for approval.



Questions related to Minor programmes

1.     How do I pursue a Minor programme? 

        The credit requirement for a Minor programme is 15 units. You may visit the website of the Academic Registry for the course lists of Minor programmes offered in HKBU and use your Free Elective units to pursue a 15-unit Minor programme. The Academic Registry will send an e-mail to all final year students to invite application for Minor via the BUniPort.

2.     As an Arts Faculty student, am I only allowed to pursue a Minor programme offered by the Faculty of Arts? 

        No. You can choose any Minor programmes offered by either the Faculty of Arts or other faculties/schools/academy. There are more than 30 Minor programmes in HKBU.


Questions related to career prospects

1.     What types of careers can I pursue upon graduation?

Courses in the BA Programme (Broad-based Admission) attempt to fill the needs of the community for graduates who possess strong language abilities in both Chinese and English, professional knowledge, a range of transferable skills and creativity. Graduates of the Faculty of Arts go into a wider variety of fields for career development such as civil service, teaching, public administration, translation, community services and business etc.

Updated in August 2017